Just a brief History more to come.

Do you have anything to add?
Contact us. admin@sapcote.org.uk



Sapcote is a small village in the south west of leicestershire, with a population of approximately 2,900. The well-known inland scuba diving site Stoney Cove is nearby. It was mentioned in the Domesday Book as Scepecote. Its name came from the Anglo-Saxon Scēapcot meaning "shed or enclosure for sheep". An early Bronze Age occupation site has been discovered here, and a Roman villa and bath house dating from the 1st century AD. Druids, Saxons, Romans and Normans have been known to have inhabited the area in and around Sapcote.
From the 12th-14th century the village was the home of the powerful Basset family. Ralph de Basset was High Sheriff of England and, possibly, the first Member of Parliament, being the first Lord to be called to the Barons Parliament by Simon de Montfort.
In 1806 a bath house was built by John Frewen Turner over the so-called Golden Well in Stanton Road, in an attempt to turn Sapcote into a Spa. In the building were cold and warm baths, and treatment was given for nervous rheumatic and scrofulous complaints. The building cost around £600, and Prime Minister George Canning and the Duke of Wellington both visited the baths.
Other historical buildings include several thatched cottages, Park Farm, a timber-framed house in Stanton Road which is dated 1683. The Old School in Leicester Road which was built in 1819, and the Stanley Burrough's Almshouses in Cooke's Lane, erected in 1847.
The oldest surviving building in the village is the 12th century All Saints Parish Church, an elegant well-proportioned building of Early English style. At one time all its windows had the Basset coat of arms, but these have now disappeared, except for a trace in one window.
The Wesleyans built their first Methodist church in Sapcote in 1805. In 1902 a square stone-built structure was erected. The stone was quarried by the men of the church and they made such a good job of it that the church remains as one of the best buildings in Sapcote. It opened in 1905 and is a fine example of the Arts and Crafts period.

Click on the underlined words in blue for more information...
More coming soon.
 
KNOW YOUR SAPCOTE
bullet    Historical Photographs        bullet    Historical Links
 
A look at our village's heritage
By Sapcote Parish Archaeological and Heritage Warden,
Keith B. Hextall
 
church_Street_med
Bronze Age occupation site has been discovered here, and a Roman Villa and Bath House dating from the 1st century AD. From the 12th-14th century the village was the home of the powerful Basset family. 

The oldest surviving Building in the village is the 12th century
All Saints Parish Church. The Methodist Church in Leicester Road is later, it opened in 1905 and is a fine example of the Arts and Crafts period.

Other historical buildings include several
Thatched Cottages and Park Farm, a timber-framed house in Stanton Road which is dated 1683. A bath house was built over the so-called Golden Well in Stanton Road in 1806, in an attempt to turn Sapcote into a Spa. The Old School in Leicester Road was built in 1819 and the Stanley Burrough's Almshouses in Cooke's Lane, were erected in 1847. 

At one time there was a
Tower Mill in Leicester Road and a Water Mill on the banks of the River Soar dating back as far as Domesday.

Sapcote's
Natural History Heritage includes Freeholt Wood, an area of medieval woodland off Hinckley Road. Several Fields are also of special interest. For the rambler there are a number of interesting Footpaths and Bridleways. One section of the parish boundary includes a portion of the Roman Fosse Way

The early 19th century
Cast Iron Milepost at the corner of Grace Road and Leicester Road is a relic of the days of The Turnpike Trust


With so much of interest in the village there is much research to be done. Hopefully the formation of a Sapcote Village Heritage Group working in conjunction with the Leicestershire County Council Museums, Arts and Records Service will discover more of interest in future years. 




 
 
People and Places
Sapcote is an attractive village with a long history. An early
line3
 


Henry_SandersT
Henry Sanders
30-1-1871  to 11-06-1932


 

people1T
Sapcote residents in Leicester Road.

people4T
 
Looking down Stanton Road from the crossroads towards the Post Office.

people3T
Having your photograph taken was a big event and worth your Sunday Best in 1904

busT
 
Brown's buses had their garage down at the bottom of Church Street, where the Library and Church Hall now stand.

people5T
 
Looking down Church Street

new_cockrelT
These Stone Masons were doing work on the steeple of All Saints church. Here they stand with the church weather cock. May 1980

shop_workT
The Post Office girls outside their shop, now the corner shop during the second world war.

shop_wrkT
 
The shop-worker standing in the doorway of the old Co-Op in Church Sreet.

farm
Freeholt Lodge off Hinckley Road taken in the early 1960's before the motorway was constructed through part of the field on the right. Note the ridge and furrow in front of the farm house.

 
 
cot_sharn_rdT
These old sand and gravel cottages with their thatched roofs stood on Sharnford Road, opposite the Calver Cottages.

cot2_sharn_rdT
These old sand and gravel cottages with their thatched roofs stood on Sharnford Road, opposite the Calver Cottages. Thatching needed repairing regularly. In the doorway stand Jarvis and Elizah Brown. This was demolished in 1930.