Morning worship 10:30 - 11:30
Refreshments afterwards

Children's Church in the Hall with Craft Activities with stories & games 10:30 - 11:30

Evening Service 6:00pm - 7:00pm
(On some Sundays)

Stepping Stones Pre-School 9:15am - 12:15pm Tel: 07714 296127

2nd Monday of the Month 7:30pm
Contact Jenny Groom 01455 272963

Art Club 7:30pm - 9:30pm
(Except 2nd Monday in the Month)
Contact 01455 272156

Bloom Group 1st Monday of the Month
Contact Diane Brannan
01455 273115


Stepping Stones Pre-School 9:15am - 12:15 Tel: 07714 296127

Alternate Tuesdays, House Group 8.00pm - 9:30pm
Contact David Watts 01455 272840


Stepping Stones Pre-School 9:15am - 12:15pm Tel: 07714 296127

1st Wednesday of the Month
Cafe Worship 7:00pm - 9:00pm (Meal starts at 7:00pm Cafe Worship 7:30pm)
Everyone welcome, donations for the Two course meal.
Contact Sheila Grice 07962 216219

Sequence Dancing 7:30pm - 9:00pm


Stepping Stones Pre-School 9:15am - 12:15pm Tel: 07714 296127

Thursday Teas 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Contact Maureen Haslet 01455 272918

Children's Choir 3:30 -4:30pm
Contact Dawn Ellis 01455 273250

Rainbows 5:00pm - 6:00pm (Term time only)
Contact Marilyn Langley 07851 742439

Youth Club 7:30pm - 9:00pm
Contact Chris Newlyn 07785 374040

Stepping Stones Pre-School 9:15am - 12:15pm Tel: 07714 296127

Rochelle School of Dance 3:45 - 6:45
Ballet, Tap & Theatre Art
Contact Miss Kay 01455 636514

Men's Breakfast Held Monthly

Contact Dereck Forster 01455 209692

Dominoes Evening (Fish & Chip supper)
Contact Dereck Forster 01455 209692

Red Lion Sapcote
Monday 22
nd December
7pm – 8pm
Come and join in this Christmas broadcast, in your local pub. This is a carol concert organised by BBC Radio Leicester and the churches in Leicester and will be broadcast LIVE.
Our venue and church got a mention last year. We will be joining in singing carols with lots of other people in Leicester in all types of venues. It is an opportunity to join with others in our community at Christmas.

If you are not able to come to the pub then listen in on your radio and join in that way.

A brief history of Sapcote Methodist Church

The original chapel was built in 1805. In 1825 a gallery was added to accommodate increased numbers of worshippers and in 1842 a schoolroom was added. The original building served the needs of old and young for nearly a hundred years.

The New Church

By the end of the 19th century the chapel was found to be totally inadequate for the increasing number of worshippers. Church members decided to be adventurous and erect a new building entirely of local stone – quarrying of granite being a major industry in Sapcote at that time. Lovett’s Granite Quarry in Leicester Road was approached for financial help. The Managers’ response was a challenge: if the local quarrymen worked extra hours after a day’s work, they could have all the stone they needed for the building, free of charge. The challenge was accepted and a team of sett-makers, mainly zealous chapel members, cut and shaped the stone after working hours. Everybody who could rallied to help. The best stone was set aside for the chapel and eventually carted free to the building site in horse drawn vehicles by farmers and other helpers, where the builders soon began their work.

Following the stone-laying ceremony in August 1903 work on the building progressed and in July 1904, the honour of unlocking the doors of the completed building was given to Mr Willoughby Tuckey, a Local Preacher and member of the Church.

The pews were of pine, as are the choir stalls, gallery, pulpit and the high beautiful roof. The organ was worked mechanically. A volunteer sat beside it during the service, pumping the handle attached to the side of the organ to blow air into it, to enable the organist to play the hymns. This organ was replaced by the existing electric organ in 1935.
The Church Hall

The original chapel was still used for Sunday School and meetings and social events during the week. But that building was beginning to show its age and so in the 1930s a fund raising committee was set up with a view to providing more suitable accommodation for the Sunday School. Eventually the church members were able to secure the necessary funds to draw up detailed plans for a new building.

The Old Chapel of 1805 was demolished in 1956 to enable work to begin on the new building. The stone laying ceremony took place in May 1957 by Miss Annie Tuckey, whose father, Mr Willoughby Tuckey, had opened the Church in 1904.

The present buildings
In 2000 – the Millennium Year – the church staged the Gospel Musical: Hopes and Dreams. Following that production the then Minister, Rev Pam Bolas, challenged church members as to what their ‘Hopes and Dreams’ were for the future of the Church. There were many discussions and ideas and the central theme of all of those included plans for the expansion and development of community activities, enabling the mission of the Church to be advanced.

However, in order to achieve these aims, the buildings needed to be modernised and extended. Many problems had been identified included: a leaking hall roof, poor kitchen facilities, rooms that were used to capacity and an inflexible area for worship. Issues raised by the Disabilities Discrimination Act and Health and Safety legislation would also have to be addressed.

So, in early 2002 architects were appointed to draw up plans, which would hopefully address all these issues and satisfy all the official bodies, both local and Methodist. This proved no easy task, as in February 2002 the church became a listed building. Details of the listed can be found here:

A set of designs was eventually agreed upon and the refurbishment scheme became known as The Cornerstone Project.

The Project was quite modest. The Hall was to have a new roof and a changed internal layout; repairs were to be carried out to the church with the most noticeable feature being the removal of the downstairs pews to allow for more flexible worship. And perhaps most significantly, the hall and the church were to be linked, providing one main access.

In round terms the scheme cost about £400,000 of which church members raised well over £100,000. Many grant-making bodies were approached for assistance and the church is very grateful to the many organisations and individuals, local, regional and national, who provided financial assistance for the project.

The works were finished in early 2007. To celebrate the completion of the refurbishment of the Church a special service of Re-dedication was held on 31 March 2007. The church was packed for the service which was led by the then Minister, Rev Ken Hawkins, together with Rev Alison Tomlin, the then Chair of the Northampton Methodist District.

Ministers of Sapcote Methodist Church

1903 Rev Grimshaw Yates
1906 Rev H H Minchin
1909 Rev Stanley Hoare
1912 Rev H Hartley
1915 Rev V Spicer
1918 Rev G A Wooding
1921 Rev C A Gimlett
1924 Rev F A Ashton
1925 Rev P S Grimshaw
1928 Rev J G Morton
1931 Rev A Sidebottom
1936 Rev A S Holbrook
1941 Rev J H Collins
1946 Rev G E Pinfield
1949 Rev D Lansley
1955 Rev G Turner
1958 Rev Arthur Breeze
1963 Rev William Bethel
1967 Rev Arthur Jolley
1971 Rev Geoffrey Gordon
1979 Rev David Cooper
1986 Rev Peter Hancock
1993 Rev Darren Garfield
1998 Rev Pam Bolas
2002 Rev Ken Hawkins
2007 Rev Barbara Bircumshaw
2014 Rev Sue Howe

All Saints Church

One of the first things people ask about any church is, "How old is it?" A church at Sapcote, of Gothic design, can be traced back to the 12th Century, but it is very likely that the present building was built on earlier foundations.
The oldest item in the church is the stone font which pre-dates the church itself. It dates back to the Normans in the 11th Century. It is now regarded as a precious item, but it suffered the indignity of being taken out of the church some two hundred years ago, to be dumped outside to catch rainwater. Fortunately a visitor spotted it out there and drew attention to it.
As is usually the case, the font is placed near the porch, so that people could view baptisms without going inside the church. The porch and main entrance is, unusually, on the north side of the church building. Whether by superstition or tradition, most churches of the period gain access through a south door.
The chancel, from whence the priests conduct the service, had remained virtually untouched over the centuries until 1843. It was then re-built, and the present attractive tie-beam rafters were added. The carving of the central whorl over the chancel is of the same design as that on the Norman font.
In 1837 an organ was purchased to replace the church orchestra.
It cost 140 guineas. The present organ was installed 18 years later.
The main body of the church, the nave, had a lead-covered flat roof until 1779. This was replaced by a pitched roof of Baltic pine. What is now the north aisle was at first a Chantry Chapel. The roof was raised and covered with local Swithland slates.
At one time there was a balcony at the east end of the nave, next to the tower wall. Recordings of it are sketchy but faint building lines show where it once was.
In 1778, money was spent on repairs, amounting to £122. The new south door was provided, at a cost of £2.15s.6d - £2.75 in our decimal currency.
A most unusual feature in the church is the hagioscope, also called a squint. It is a hole, over 4 feet long, cut into the north side of the chancel arch. This made it possible to watch the service in the sanctuary and at the Communion Table, so that people could see what was going on and feel a part of the worship.
Today it is appreciated by the organist at weddings, being able to see when the bridal party are about to enter the church.
The tower and the spire were probably erected together, shortly after the main body of the church. The tower is 60 feet in height, and square whereas the spire, rising a further 60 feet, is octagonal. At the top of the spire was a colourful weathercock, since replaced and given a non-rusting rod on which to turn.
A traditional feature of early churches, continued with undiminished enthusiasm by today’s worshippers, is bell-ringing. Intended to summon the faithful to worship, bell-ringing has become virtually an art form. Sapcote is blessed with 10 bells, one of only two in the county. The earliest one is inscribed 1611, the most recent came in 1977.
On the south side of the tower is the church clock, originally installed two hundred years ago. It had a square dial and only the hour hand. It was replaced in 1852 with a round dial and a minute hand.
On its face is a warning - "The Hour is Coming".
There are many interesting records of the various Rectors over the years. As a result of the Enclosure Act of 1778, the Rev Thomas Frewen Turner was given the job description of "Lord of the Manor of Sapcote, and Rector of the Parish Church".
It is no doubt a relief to the present Rector, Rev Mick Norman, that he is "to be ever exempt from keeping or finding either a bull or a boar for the use of the said parish".
In 1786 the Rector faced a dilemma. Worshippers tend to like sitting in a particular seat but at that time many seats were listed as "decayed and out of repair" and he was required to allocate the new seats in a "fitting, convenient and equitable manner". There came a list of names accompanied by the occupation :
Squire, Yeoman, Gardener, Weaver, Labouring Man, Innkeeper, Blacksmith, Maltster, Cordwainer, Framework Knitter, Tailor, Husbandman, Widow.
The Rector was also the Visitor at the "House of Industry", or Poor House, which was used between 1806 and 1840. It served the need to provide food and shelter for the homeless, though the regime was grim and did nothing for the inmates’ self-respect.